Delivery Worldwide


Often bereavement can leave a family in need of some financial support and it can be good to know there is some help available.

Both the Department of Social and Family Affairs and the Health Service Executive (HSE) provide these support services.  One of the most important services is help with funeral costs in the form of grants. However, do note that if you are claiming the grant, you are responsible for the production of certain certificates and documents.

 Bereavement Grants
  1. Widowed Parents Grant - a once-off payment to widows, widowers or surviving civil partners with dependent children. This grant is payable in addition to the Bereavement Grant for insured people.
  2. Special Funeral Grant - available under the Occupational Injuries Scheme to the dependants of anyone who dies as a result of a work-related accident or illness.  
  3. Standard Bereavement Grant - The Bereavement Grant of €850 was discontinued for deaths after 1 January 2014. A once-off payment made when someone dies. Eligibility for this grant is not related to your ability to pay for the funeral but is based on PRSI contributions - either yours or those of the person who has died.  
Social Welfare Payments

If you were living with or dependent on the deceased, any current benefits or payments you are getting may change, or you may be able to claim additional benefits. For more information see FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOLLOWING A DEATH . Depending on your income and circumstances you may be entitled to a social welfare payment in your own right, for example:

  1. Financial Assistance Following Bereavement - Supports are available in Ireland to help families following bereavement. 
  2. Social welfare payments following a death – Some social welfare payments can continue after someone dies, where someone who was getting a certain social welfare payment dies, his or her spouse/civil partner/cohabitant may get 6 weeks of this payment after the death.
  3. Widow's/Widower's Contributory Pension 
  4. Widow's/Widower's Non-Contributory Pension is paid to widowed people who do not qualify for a contributory pension and who pass a means test. 
  5. Guardian's payment is paid to the child's guardian up to the child's 18th birthday if he or she is in full-time education.
  6. One Parent Family Payment can be paid to you if you are parenting alone as a result of the death of your spouse or partner. If you also qualify for a Widow's/Widower's Contributory Pension you will have to choose which payment is of most benefit to you because you cannot get both. 
  7. Dependent Parent's Pension is paid to a dependent parent whose supporting child dies as a result of / while suffering from a work related illness or accident. 
  8. Additional payments - the Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme provides financial support to people with low incomes. You may qualify for a weekly supplement payment under the scheme to meet certain special needs, for example, help with rent/mortgage interest payments, special medical diets and fuel costs. In addition, payments can also be made for urgent or exceptional needs. 

There are also specific rules about taxation in the year of a person's death; for example, a tax refund may be due.
There are also extra credits for widowed parents in the years following the death of a spouse. 

For Further information:

To check your entitlements, contact your nearest social welfare local office or your nearest Citizens Information Centre.
You can also phone the Citizens Information Phone Service on lo-call: 1890 777 121 or visit